NATO member Turkey has purchased four Russian-made S-400 air defense systems that will not integrate with the military alliance’s systems.
Sergei Chemezov, head of Russian state conglomerate Rostec, said the deal was for four divisions of S-400’s at a cost of about $2.5 billion.
Turkey will pay 45 percent of the cost up front with Russia providing loans to cover the remaining 55 percent, Chemezov said.
The first deliveries are expected in 2020.
NATO officials worry that the Turkish purchase of a Russian system signals that Ankara is moving closer to Moscow’s sphere of influence.
The U.S. 39th Air Base Wing (39 ABW) of the U.S. Air Force is stationed at Turkey’s Incirlik Air Base. There are about 57 hardened aircraft shelters. Tactical nuclear weapons are stored at the base. [source]
Information in this article helps satisfy Priority Intelligence Requirement 2: What is the current situation report and risk of war in each of the four flashpoints? To subscribe to one of our threat intelligence newsletters: Click here.