Abolish the Senate. https://t.co/5eBm50Pyis
— Ian Millhiser (@imillhiser) November 14, 2018
“Abolish the Senate.”
There’s growing sentiment in left wing circles that to achieve fairness in politics, the Senate should be abolished. (I’ll explain how in a moment…)
This opinion’s been published in left wing outlets like ThinkProgress, GQ, Washington Post, Jacobin, and others.
It was trending on social media and has been featured on left wing blogs.
Last month, Hillary Clinton called for abolishing the Electoral College. Now many progressives want to dismantle one part of the system of checks and balances.
I continually provide evidence that the United States is in a high grade culture war and that we’ve already entered into a low grade domestic conflict.
And every time I second guess or have doubts about my conclusions, I look at just how far left the Left wants to push our society, politics, and the U.S. Government.
A growing number of them want to end the American system of governance as know it.
Here’s their argument against the Senate…
Population trends show that America’s cities are exploding.
As a result, by 2040, approximately 70 percent of the country’s population will live in just 15 states and have 30 senators. (Nine states will be home to 50 percent of the population.)
They complain that 70 percent of the population will have 30 senators, while the remaining 30 percent of the population residing in 35 states will have 70 senators.
They say it’s unfair.
The Senate, reliably Republican in 2018 and likely to remain so in 2020, was designed to represent the States.
The House was designed to represent the People.
That’s how our bi-cameral legislature works. But right now, it’s working against left wing “progress”.
Many have fairly criticized President Trump for eroding political norms and pushing the boundaries of the guardrails that keep our Republic functioning. That’s fair enough; even I can admit that.
Looking ahead to 2020, I don’t consider President Trump to be a shoo-in for re-election.
And looking at the stable of Democratic up-and-comers and influencers, there’s a good chance they run a left wing economic populist to subvert Trump’s support among blue collar whites. Without them, Trump would not have won the Electoral College.
America could have an abrupt change of direction in two short years.
Are you ready for that? Is America ready for that?
Always Out Front,
P.S. – If you want to receive the Forward Observer Dispatch with my latest thoughts on intelligence, security, and defense for an uncertain future, you can sign up below.